The Cannelton Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Probationary Patrolman. Applications are available online at www.canneltonpolice.com
, Cannelton City Hall and Cannelton Police Department. Applications will NOT be mailed out, however one can be emailed to you for completion. Please print it off and return in person or by mail.
Candidates shall meet minimum standards (I.C. § 36-8-3.5-12; 240 I.A.C. 1-4-3):
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be at least 21 years of age, but less than the maximum age as established by law.
- Veterans are exempt from the maximum age restriction (I.C. § 36-8-4.7).
- Have obtained a high school degree or a recognized equivalent.
- Be free from any felony convictions or any other crime or series of crimes which would indicate to a reasonable person that the applicant is potentially dangerous violent, or has the propensity to break the law.
- Demonstrate successful completion of minimum agility and aptitude tests.
- Be free from any physical, emotional or mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of police powers.
- Before a candidate may be selected as an officer he/she shall be examined by a licensed medical doctor according to the requirements in I.C. § 36-8-8-19 which must include the following:
- A general medical history.
- A determination of the candidate’s ability to perform the essential functions of the position of officer.
- Before a candidate may be selected as an officer he/she shall must obtain a positive recommendation of emotional and mental fitness.
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation and criminal history investigation.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be fingerprinted for both a state and federal criminal records check.
- Be eligible under federal and Indiana law to possess and carry a firearm.
- The Cannelton Police Department may establish additional standards for selection of a candidate for the position of officer pursuant to I.C. § 36-8-3.2-6.
Applications are due/postmarked by September 1, 2017.